4/18 UPDATE -
Rebekah really wasn't falling alseep before she was getting enough, she was nursing both sides dry and then an hour later waking up starving again, and I'd have nothing to nurse her with.
So, I had to resort to the bottle. I since have started drinking Mother's Milk tea, (Thanks Jenn!) drink more fluids, might even try a beer (weird that this boosts milk supply) (Thanks for that tip Shelly and Lindsey) getting lots of rest (after a night pumping, this will be nice!) and I have been upping my pumping to every hour and a half. I also plan to start vitamin supplements of brewer's yeast and fennegreek (sp?) to help produce more milk. (Thanks Susan!)
I also called my MOL and Mary Auger (lactaction specialist) and recieved similar wisdom.. keep going at it and try to nurse her at breast even if she has to eat every hour! I just don't want to have to succomb to formula.. but might have to at least supplement if in the next 12 hours I don't get more milk in.
All in all, this is a very emotional time for me.. I feel like I am a failure as a mother, by not be able to provide milk for my baby, and for being too busy with other things, which dropped my milk supply in the first place. It's very hard on me right now, to try and remain positive and hope that my milk will indeed come in soon, as I'm told it will!
I have to set aside all my "lists", chores, and time doing anything else and focus entirely on this and Bekah right now.. which makes me feel like a bad mother, having to resort to the TV to help entertain Leah while I pump/nurse. (Thank God for Christian videos though! Yay for Veggie Tales!)
I would really appreciate any prayers you could send my way, as I try my best to stay positive, keep up with nursing/pumping, and that my milk supply will come in soon so I won't have to supplement. :)
3 comments:
I don't know what it's called, but there's also something you can wear around your neck with formula in it, and there are tiny tubes that fit alongside your nipple into the baby's mouth. That way Rebekah would still be nursing and causing the stimulation to the breast, but she'd also get some nourishment from the formula. I wish I had known about it with my first baby, and I've recently seen it in action and know it works.
try not to worry, though i know thats easier said than done. just keep nursing every time she wants to, even if you know theres no milk in there.....the stimulation will eventually produce more. dont give up laura! i'm praying for you!
Praying for you, Laura. I feel sure this will soon work itself out.
Love you!!
Post a Comment