Monday, March 17, 2008

Day 5/6 Update

Yesterday (Day 5) was so fun as my parents, Isaac and Anna came for a visit with Leah!
I LOVED getting to see her again.. actually I cried when I first held her! (Even tearing up now!) It was so great to have everyone see Bekah and get to touch her little hands.. ;) Everyone took TONS of pictures (Yes, that will be my next post!) and got some really great shots of everything. Plus Bekah got some fun gifts (a cute pink bear for her isolette from Grandma, and a BEAUTIFUL posterboard with all kinds of wonderful messages and pictures on it from Anna!) It was just so great to feel like a family again! I missed everyone so much!
We celebrated by going out to Olive Garden and having a great dinner. Then came the hardest part, saying goodbye! Not only to Leah and my family, but also to Josh, who is going home this week, back to work and to be with Leah! I am very glad he gets to go spend time with her, but I am so sad to be alone.. even though I am with Bekah! (Gol, I just can't stop tearing up even now! pretty emotional mess I am! :) Haha) However, after the initial goodbye, and a good night's sleep I am doing much better! I still miss everyone, but it is easier today getting to spend time with Bekah at the NICU ward here.
Today (Day 6) is a great day for Bekah, yet very busy. As soon as I got here in the Am (10:00) I was told her PICC line needed to be moved, as the Monday Xray showed it was 2 cm too far in. So, I got to watch the "sterile procedure" and it was very interesting, but sad 'cause she didn't like it at first. However for "painful procedures" as the nurse calls them, she recieves Sucrose, which is high sugar substance, and helps with the pain. (Kind of like a reward for a shot at a clinic) Her Bilirubin count continued to drop all last night, and is now at an 8.2, which means she came off the lights this morning!!! It is so nice to get to see her little face again!
Her oxygen is doing good, she is recieving room air now on her nose tube, which basically is just helping her not work so hard at breathing by flowing it in her nose. (She had trouble with that a few days ago, so they decided to help her with her breathing.) But essentially she is breathing on her own, just with a bit of "flow help" to ease her muscles from working too hard.
I have yet to see her doctor and hear more details on how she is doing, but her feedings are WONDERFUL! She was tripled in her dose since Day 3, making her feedings 20 mls now, ( 2/3 oz) and she is not having any residuals left in her tummy, which is amazing! I praise God her feedings seem to be right on track!
I am heading up to 4th floor now to see her, and check on her for her 2:00 apt. (She has little "apt.'s" every 3 hours round the clock.) Thank you all for your support and prayers! They are truly being answered every day! Love you all!

1 comment:

Chris, Tasha, Dawson & Lainey said...

Laura, we have been praying for your family! We love the updates keep them coming!

Praise God for her progress! How are you doing?? Emotionally and physically?? Our thoughts are prayers are going out for you all!