Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Wheat prices set to soar.. what to do?

I don't know if any of you have heard, but by May of this year, wheat prices are expected to triple or even quintuple in price due to high demand from last year's bad crops. (Drought I think)

While I'm usually not one to jump on "the-sky-is-falling" hyped-up bandwagons, I have heard from multiple reputable sources that wheat prices will be increasing substantially very soon, and I have started seeing this as true for myself! (Harmony Foods Co-op and Our Buying Club has already almost doubled in price for any wheat berries or flour. Plus I have noticed even non-organic places (ie:Walmart) are going up in price too!) Our family uses quite a bit of flour and wheat berries, and I'd hate to have to buy any more at these ultra-extravagant prices.. So I've thought of a few things to do!

1) Stock up!!! - I have just purchased from Wheat Montana 2-50lb Bags of enriched, "vitaminized", unbleached white flour for $30 each, and I also topped off my Whole Wheat Berry supply with another 25 lbs for $21, as I grind my own wheat flour.. (much healthier for you)
I am very excited to have found such a great deal.. I was getting a little worried about it.. what a blessing to have a friend who is in Montana buying for us, as well as them!!

2) Buy my Pre-made mixes now! - I'm sure jumping Wheat prices will affect cake, brownie, muffins, and any kind of mixes sold in grocery stores very soon. I don't buy a lot of these, but I do like having some on hand and often buy with coupons for free or almost free. Now would be a great time to stock up on ones I actually use, and want to have for cheap!

3) Be Frugal in what I use! - I usually bake everything by scratch, and sometimes can over-do it with cooking to many things at once.. what can I say, I love baking! I need to learn to be frugal.. making bread only when we need it, freezing any leftover pieces, using crust pieces for bread crumbs, trying to limit dessert-making, cookies, cakes, etc.. There are many ways I can learn to be more frugal with our food. Just because I have 100 lbs of flour doesn't mean I should bake like I have an army to feed! :)

Those are just a few of my ideas. What about you?
I'd love to hear what you are planning on doing about wheat prices!!

Check out this article for more info: Wheat prices reach nearly $20/bushelGrocery Bills to Sore and Grain Prices Surge

No comments: