Today is a busy day for Bekah!!
Dr Kumar upped her feedings again to 45 mls, which is wonderful! (1 1/2 oz) This is almost (or is) a full feeding for her, and she has been digesting it all with no residuals, Praise God! So much so in fact, her nurse today, Michelle, switched her to Size 1 Diapers! Quite a jump from little Premie-Smalls she was in. She is just filling her pants too much.. so wonderful! Never thought you'd be happy to have a baby poop, did you? :) Her TPN (Vitamin Drip) is also being stopped after today, being her feedings are going so well! Wow!!!
Yesterday, we started the "Wean Off Procedure" from her Isolette, which is basically slowly dropping the temperature/humidity inside her isolette closer to room air temp, getting ready for her to move into her crib. She also got to wear little clothes for the first time!! Started with a pink "Princess" onesie, tiny pink socks, and a yellow giraffe sleeper. :) So fun!
When I got here at 10:00 this morning, she was on her final phase of the wean-off, and as I held her for her 11:00 feeding by tube, Michelle put the isolette away in a corner, and brought out her crib!!! We swaddled her in a Halo Sleeper and placed her in her crib. Her temps have been great through the entire procedure, and she seems to be tolerating it very well.
However, it is a LOT more work for her little body to keep her temps and breathing up by herself, and many babies fail their first attempt, which is OK. She will get stronger as she gets older. Plus, she is only 33 weeks, but seems to be doing well. I am just trying to not be too disappointed if she has to go back in.. but what a big step this is for her! Pray that her temps and breathing will be stable all during today.. that is the big thing today!!!
Another positive about her being in her Isolette is that I can hold her anytime now, not just at feeding times. It is important for her to get "rest time" in her bed, but I can still hold her whenever!! I'm really looking forward to that! :) I did hold her for an hour today, and she was awake and gazing at me for most of the time.. it was so fun!!!
Another great positive is yesterday they nurses on duty tried "nippling her" (using a bottle) for feedings. The first time she took 5 mls, 2nd time took 2 mls, and I got to try it at 5pm last night, and it was so great, because she took 13 mls for me!!! It's a bit different than normal bottle feeding, because I have to take the bottle out when she starts to get some milk, to help her swallow what is in her mouth, or she chokes on it. (Usually sucking/swallowing comes by 34 weeks) But she is doing amazing! It's just a slow process, and I think sometimes some of the nurses get frustrated that it doesn't go as fast as tube feedings (which are automatic) but, I am convinced practice will make perfect and want to use my time to help her progress at this. :) Plus I just love to get to do it with her! So far we'll be trying a bottle every couple of feedings, as not to tire her out, because the priority right now is keeping her temps/breathing up in her crib.
(By the way, I am still pumping breastmilk, and that is being used in the bottles, not formula, which I am super-glad about.) Breastfeeding seems to tire her out more, and wasn;t really going anywhere. I would like to try as she gets older, but since she is responsive to the bottle now, it seems like a better option to get her off the tube feedings (hopefully) Because as she gets bigger and stronger, she should have no trouble breastfeeding as well as bottle feed. :) I hope!
I continue to recover nicely, and am starting to get a daily routine down, which helps me a lot! The days go by fast, and it's very special for me to be here with her.
Thanks for all your prayers, and keep them coming, especially today!!
Dr Kumar upped her feedings again to 45 mls, which is wonderful! (1 1/2 oz) This is almost (or is) a full feeding for her, and she has been digesting it all with no residuals, Praise God! So much so in fact, her nurse today, Michelle, switched her to Size 1 Diapers! Quite a jump from little Premie-Smalls she was in. She is just filling her pants too much.. so wonderful! Never thought you'd be happy to have a baby poop, did you? :) Her TPN (Vitamin Drip) is also being stopped after today, being her feedings are going so well! Wow!!!
Yesterday, we started the "Wean Off Procedure" from her Isolette, which is basically slowly dropping the temperature/humidity inside her isolette closer to room air temp, getting ready for her to move into her crib. She also got to wear little clothes for the first time!! Started with a pink "Princess" onesie, tiny pink socks, and a yellow giraffe sleeper. :) So fun!
When I got here at 10:00 this morning, she was on her final phase of the wean-off, and as I held her for her 11:00 feeding by tube, Michelle put the isolette away in a corner, and brought out her crib!!! We swaddled her in a Halo Sleeper and placed her in her crib. Her temps have been great through the entire procedure, and she seems to be tolerating it very well.
However, it is a LOT more work for her little body to keep her temps and breathing up by herself, and many babies fail their first attempt, which is OK. She will get stronger as she gets older. Plus, she is only 33 weeks, but seems to be doing well. I am just trying to not be too disappointed if she has to go back in.. but what a big step this is for her! Pray that her temps and breathing will be stable all during today.. that is the big thing today!!!
Another positive about her being in her Isolette is that I can hold her anytime now, not just at feeding times. It is important for her to get "rest time" in her bed, but I can still hold her whenever!! I'm really looking forward to that! :) I did hold her for an hour today, and she was awake and gazing at me for most of the time.. it was so fun!!!
Another great positive is yesterday they nurses on duty tried "nippling her" (using a bottle) for feedings. The first time she took 5 mls, 2nd time took 2 mls, and I got to try it at 5pm last night, and it was so great, because she took 13 mls for me!!! It's a bit different than normal bottle feeding, because I have to take the bottle out when she starts to get some milk, to help her swallow what is in her mouth, or she chokes on it. (Usually sucking/swallowing comes by 34 weeks) But she is doing amazing! It's just a slow process, and I think sometimes some of the nurses get frustrated that it doesn't go as fast as tube feedings (which are automatic) but, I am convinced practice will make perfect and want to use my time to help her progress at this. :) Plus I just love to get to do it with her! So far we'll be trying a bottle every couple of feedings, as not to tire her out, because the priority right now is keeping her temps/breathing up in her crib.
(By the way, I am still pumping breastmilk, and that is being used in the bottles, not formula, which I am super-glad about.) Breastfeeding seems to tire her out more, and wasn;t really going anywhere. I would like to try as she gets older, but since she is responsive to the bottle now, it seems like a better option to get her off the tube feedings (hopefully) Because as she gets bigger and stronger, she should have no trouble breastfeeding as well as bottle feed. :) I hope!
I continue to recover nicely, and am starting to get a daily routine down, which helps me a lot! The days go by fast, and it's very special for me to be here with her.
Thanks for all your prayers, and keep them coming, especially today!!
2 comments:
Laura, that is so awesome! Keep up the great work. I'm praying for you. Even if she never does nurse (but I'm sure she will,) keep pumping that milk for her; it's so much better for her.
Laura,
I am so thankful that everything is going so well for you guys! You have been in our thoughts and prayers! We will continue to pray for daily improvements as your little one continues to develop and grow! Praise God for all the ways He has taken care of you guys!
Post a Comment