The title just makes me smile! I have been doing so much canning over the past couple weeks... wow! Add on top of that morning sickness, which is in full swing now (more like all day-sickness) and it is amazing I got even a fraction of this done! Here's to great new kitchen tools which save so much time! :) I have to share this new recipe for the World's Best Apple Pie Filling! When Fall rolls around, I just dream about apples.. cooked or plain... Mmmm! This is by far my favorite I've ever made.. and the first time I've canned it ever! It was pretty easy, and oh so good! :) (I think I'd eat a can- just plain! hee hee)
World's Best Apple Pie Filling (Canned Recipe)
makes 6 quarts
7 Quarts sliced fresh apples
5 1/2 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Cornstarch
1 T. Cinnamon
2 1/2 Cups Cold Water
5 Cups Apple Juice
1/2 Cup Bottled Lemon Juice
1 Tsp Nutmeg
7 Drops Food Coloring
Use firm crisp apples such as Rome or Golden Delicious. Wash, Peel, and core apples. Slice about 1/2 in wide and place in a large bowl of half water/half lemon juice. (To keep apples from browning) Place apples that have soaked for a while in a big pot of warm water (NOT boiling) to keep warm until ready to can. In large saucepan combine sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, water, apple juice, food coloring and nutmeg. Stir and cook on med. heat until mixture thickens and begins to bubble. (This will take a little while) Drain apple slices from big pot of warm water, and add to apple juice/cornstarch mixture. Fold in apples. Add lemon juice to mix and boil 1 min more. Remove from heat and fill jars with mixture. Seal and Boil in Water Bath for about 20 min. Let cool and sit for 24 hrs before labeling and storing.
Laura's kitchen hints:
On this recipe I used apples similar to Granny Smith (I love the tart/sweet taste!) I also "cheated" and used my Pampered Chef Apple Peeler to peel the apples. Then I used my Apple Cutter/Corer to slice and core them. Easy, easy! (You can get cheaper just as nice versions of both of these tools at Target!)
Here is my canning section in my basement: now overgrown to all my shelves! It's addicting!I just love it! Enjoy and may your fall canning go well!
1 comment:
Wow! I'm so impressed with how much you've accomplished. Just in the nick of time too as you will be sick/tired for the rest of the year and then will have a newborn. Those canned products are so nice to have on hand and it's so wonderful to see a young woman carrying on the lost art of home canning. Your storehouse of good homegrown foods is absolutely beautiful!
Post a Comment