Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Weaning Leah, a mom's story

Leah is one year old next week, and is now fully weaned!
I feel like having a party just for weaning ! :)
It started 3 weeks ago, I noticed Leah really wasn't nursing for food, but mainly for comfort. But, I needed to have her sleeping through the night, and not relying on me, as the mom, so much! So, I decided to drop one full day of nursing, cold turkey. You know what? She didn't even miss it at all. I was really surprised!! She still did nurse at night, but that really wasn't anything at all.
So as of this week, Leah was weaned of day-time feedings, but still not sleeping through the night. (Grrrh) So, I decided to try weaning of night feedings too. And you know what? Leah SLEPT THROUGH HE NIGHT the first night. She didn't miss it, because instead of nursing, I rocked her when she got up. (as she did the next night)
So, last night was the big test. Will she sleep all the way or not? Well, she didn't, but I stuck to my guns, and didn't nurse her, I got to sing and rock with her, which was soooooo precious. I almost didn't want to go back to bed! To have her asleep in my arms, just like when she was a baby! It was great.
So I am proud to say, Leah Helweg is now weaned completely!!!!!!!
What a great way for it to happen now... I really wasn't planning on weaning until after a year old, but she was ready! (Getting 2 more teeth in this week)
Such a grown up girl already! Wow!


1 comment:

♥ Craig & Jessica ♥ said...

What an accomplishment! I can't believe it's been a whole year already! Doesn't time fly??

How are YOU feeling? I found it took a couple of days for my body to adjust to the weaning process - and quitting cold turkey can be rough!

See you soon!!!!