Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Chivalrous


Chivalrous
by Dina L. Sleiman


Gwendolyn longs to be a knight, forced by her parents into a marriage she doesn’t want yet tries to make the best of.
Allen longs to escape his station and make himself better, stronger and wiser, yet he falls in  love with the one woman he can’t have.
Action, adventure, intrigue, surprising twists, great characters… this book had it all.

This book is second in the “Valiant Hearts” series, set in the much-loved “Robin-Hood” time period of England.  I confess I started reading without having read the first book, “Valiant.”  But this title did not rely on the first, so it was great for a stand-alone book as well as a series. 

I loved Gwen, she was incredibly fun to read. And while historically, I wasn’t sure I believed some of the storyline, (did women really long to be knights back then?!)
her journey on the road to love was compelling overall. Her brothers and handmaiden made a great addition to her character as well. Allen was interesting, not really a gripping character for me, but his romance with Gwen was sweet and exciting, yet it wasn’t until his past came into the picture did the plot get really intriguing for me. (The climax had me on the edge of my seat!)

Overall, it was a great book, and overlooking some possible historical liberties, this book was a really fun read J

No comments: