The Painter’s Daughter
By Julie Klassen
Sophie Dupont, assistant in her father’s painting studio in
Lynmouth England, meets handsome Wesley Overtree, falls madly in love, then
suddenly finds herself alone and in trouble when Wesley sails away to Italy.
His brother, Captain Stephen Overtree comes looking for Wesley, and instead
finds Sophie and instantly feels protective and duty-bound to her. Propsing a
marriage in name-only as a way out of her predicament, Sophie feels torn. Can
she accept the hand of his brother, who is all but a stranger to her, no matter
what safety he is offering her or will she wait hopefully for Wesley’s return,
or her possible ruin?
This book was amazing. And I was almost a bit surprised at
how amazing it was, given how easily I had guessed the plot from the blurb on
the back of the book.
But it is further proof at how great of a storyteller Julie
Klassen really is. Her plot was winding and intricate, characters full and
complex and the story had enough suspense and questions to keep me guessing
‘til the end.
I loved Sophie, who as a “flawed” character in a regency
novel, (hardly ever written about in a positive way) was very relatable. The
struggle she felt being pulled between two men was beautiful, and yet raw and
compelling. Not a soap-operatic love-triangle like you read in teen books, but
a realistic choice between your heart & mind. I loved seeing her character
progress and change, and was ecstatic with her eventual choice of Overtree men.
Stephen and Wesley were great characters, each with
strengths and weaknesses, and they felt so real. Plus, as I read on and the
conflict between them and Sophie came to a head, I could barely put the book
down. The tension, the secrets, the families’ discovering, it was such great
storytelling. Plus, there was an amazing cast of secondary characters in this
book that really stood on their own, and added so much to this story. It made
for a really exciting read.
I loved how Julie ended the book, but sadly cannot expound
because of spoilers! You’ll have to take my word for it that is worth picking
up and reading for yourself. Definitely one of my very favorite Klassen novels
to date.
No comments:
Post a Comment