I picked up some Princess books for her at a good price, based on the best Disney stories.. but I see how some of the Princesses are immodestly dressed.
Ariel in The Little Mermaid for instance, is in a bikini top almost the entire movie. As for Jasmine in Aladdin, I have little more to add about that. Even some of Belle's dresses from Beauty and the Beast are a little low cut for me. (Some might think my view is too old-fashioned, but it is just that, MY view.) :)
Plus some of the traits these princesses display in the storylines (Rebellion, Defiance, Running Away, Seduction) in addition to skimpy dress might be too much for me to consider allowing them into my house, for fear that they may engrain themselves into my daughters minds.

6 comments:
I completely agree with you! Maybe you could decorate with crowns and scepters (gold & silver) and then with pink balloons, streamers, etc. You are going to get alot of criticism from family and friends, but just keep standing strong. There is a book called "The Princess and the Kiss." It talks about purity and it is geared toward girls your age and a little bit older.
While the princess movies made in the 90's do have scantily dressed girls in them to say the least, I really thought the "old" favorites, such as Sleeping Beauty and Snow White encourage modesty a little more. Also the princesses in Shrek are a little better as well. I am with you though completly, I really have to desire to see my daughter trying to immitate Jasmine or Ariel. They look a tad bit skanky. I am really wondering what the writers of those movies were thinking. There target market for the cartoon was not 19 year old males, so why not give her a cover up or a little more!
Thanks for the comments Sarah and Rachel!
Sarah- I LOVED the idea of using crowns.. plus it is very easy to make a biblical reference as well. :) I am familiar with the book Princess and the Kiss as well.. I love it! :)
Rachel- I do agree with you that the older Disney are a lot better as far as modesty goes.. I like Cinderella as well as Sleeping Beauty, Snow White.. but I do wonder as well what Disney writers are putting in kids's heads!
I just saw a book in the bookstore that I hope to buy Ali online (it's cheaper online) and I know it will be our FAVORITE on princesses because it's cuter than anything we've yet seen and we have or have read all the Christian books on the subject.
Here's the link:
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Princess-Making-Royal-Becoming/dp/0736918558
It's called A Little Princess in the Making by Emilie Barnes.
You could theme a party around this story and read it at the party.
I agree that the older movies had a bit more modesty so I would maybe plan to do a "Cinderella Theme" party or a crown-themed party. Our local Pamida has these pink foam princess crowns that girls can decorate with stickers or jewels. Those would be cute favors!
Reminds me of this article(sorry I can't just get a link):
http://www.focusonthefamily.com/focusmagazine/parentfamily/A000001296.cfm
If the media can "sell" an idea (or a product) to kids when they're young, they know that they'll have them for life. So girls are bombarded with the image of how they're "supposed" to be.
My recently found favorite princess book (for little girls of all ages!) is "My Child, My Princess:A Parable About the King" by Beth Moore.
I can't get the whole link to show...Maybe you've already read it but if not here's how.
-Visit focusonthefamily.com
-Click "Our Ministries" (left hand side)
-Scroll down to "Focus on the Family Magazine" and click the link under it, "Parenting and Family"
-Scroll down to the article titled "Sexy Too Soon".
Post a Comment