Ok, It is official... Rebekah HAS got to start sleeping through the night!!!!!!!!
In her LIFE she has only ever slept through the night 3x, and I remember exactly when it was. I KNOW she should be sleeping through the night now, I remember Leah was, waaay before now.
Last night alone, she was up 5-6x, every 1 1/2 hours it seemed! As a result, my sleep was very interrupted and I'm sure hers wasn't great either. She IS weaned, but still only nurses to "soothe" herself night, simply because I can't calm her down any other way! (Well, aside from getting up with her and playing) :/
I need advice!!!! Anyone have any ideas for getting her to sleep through the night? Her bedtime is usually around 8:30-9:00.. so it isn't too early. The room is dark, no nightlight, and with a louder fan running. I have tried everything and would LOVE some ideas.. or just some comfort!
Thanks a million all my mom friends!
In her LIFE she has only ever slept through the night 3x, and I remember exactly when it was. I KNOW she should be sleeping through the night now, I remember Leah was, waaay before now.
Last night alone, she was up 5-6x, every 1 1/2 hours it seemed! As a result, my sleep was very interrupted and I'm sure hers wasn't great either. She IS weaned, but still only nurses to "soothe" herself night, simply because I can't calm her down any other way! (Well, aside from getting up with her and playing) :/
I need advice!!!! Anyone have any ideas for getting her to sleep through the night? Her bedtime is usually around 8:30-9:00.. so it isn't too early. The room is dark, no nightlight, and with a louder fan running. I have tried everything and would LOVE some ideas.. or just some comfort!
Thanks a million all my mom friends!
4 comments:
We got super lucky with Cara. She slept through the night by two months.....until about two months ago! We have had some major sleep training in the last few weeks. I have had to resort to simply letting her cry it out. My husbacnd was up with her last week for about three hours, just letting her cry and fuss. She was not allowed out of bed, but man did she not want to sleep!!! It took about three nights of completly ignoring her. I, literally, had to go into the livingroom and turn the tv o quite loud and ignore her. It is so difficult!! This whole week now she has done great! She still wakes up, but she just kind of fusses and falls back asleep within minutes. I know this method does not work for everyone, but it's what we had to do for Cara. Good luck!!!!
Levi has also had is bouts of waking in the night multiple times. He did this when he was younger and we let him cry it out. Then he was doing good before the holiday time last year sleeping until about 4:30-5 every night. Then the holidays came, we moved and the sleep was history! He was waking up again a lot. We kept working with him, letting him cry it out and he has been doing much better again. I stopped giving him a bottle now that he is one and he immediately started sleeping all the way through the night. Don't ask me why or how but he has. It is so hard when they don't want to sleep and you are up many times. Stay consistent with her! Good Luck!
This kills! I feel your pain. Jer took until a year to sleep through and Ali was about 7-8 months. I wanted to scream when people told me their baby slept through the night at one month old or something like that. It was HARD. It was actually easier for me to deal with the first 3 months because I was energized and excited to have a new baby. But when you go long term, it just kills you. By the 5th or 6th month you are DESPERATE!
Since she isn't nursing because she truly needs food and she's over a year I think she is doing it out of habit/comfort. Jer, our cuddlebug, was addicted to these comfort sessions too. The only way we got him to stop was to put Ali's toddler bed in our room for a while and let him have the kid's room to himself. We let him cry it out a couple of nights and he finally got in a habit of not waking. We kept her in our room for a month and then moved her back to the kids' room and they both started going to bed at 7pm together and it worked out. I do know some people have some success with gradually weaning her from your attention by cutting down the time and minutes you are with her (or comfort feedings) and moving closer toward the door each day until you no longer go in and she has adjusted to self-comfort.
The biggest help for my kids has been comfort blankies (they call them duckies). Putting duckie up to their nose or cheek is the signal that it's time to sleep.
This is a hard subject because no matter what you read or try, no method works perfectly for all kids and I'm sure you're very tired. Hang in there and pray that she starts sleeping very soon!
i JUST read an article about sleep this morning and read something i have never heard of before. some people intentionally wake their kids to get them to sleep all night. here is the theory:
set your alarm to wake up 20-30 minutes before your child would wake. go in, wake them up, feed/nurse/change diaper, and put them back to bed. do this in the dark and do not cuddle or talk to the baby. do this all night, but start waiting longer and longer between times to wake your child. eventually, you can get them to sleep all night.
i have no idea if this works, as i do not know anyone who has done this before.
ryann goes through spurts of sleeping well and not sleeping well. it almost always coincides with getting new teeth. she slept through the night by about 8 weeks (so did elle) because i followed the book BABYWISE as much as i could, but it seems that every once in a while she will have a few nights (or even weeks) where she wakes every couple hours. soon i see that she has a new tooth, and feel like those sleepless nights were from teething.
i TOTALLY know how tired you feel, since ryann went through a sleepless stage during my third trimester pregnant with elle. i thought i would never feel rested again!!! i can't bring myself to let her cry it out, and usually just try to get her back to sleep. i also allow(ed) my kids to use pacifiers only when they slept, and ryann happily threw hers away a few months before she turned 3, when i told her big girls dont use nukies. elle uses one when she sleeps and they seem to help soothe them when they are upset.
i know a lot of people hate pacifiers, but i just think about the fact that i like to feel comforted by sleeping next to my husband at night, so whats the harm in letting my kids feel conforted by sucking on a pacifier when trying to sleep at night??
i really hope she starts sleeping soon! its awful trying to get through the day when you are totally exhausted. i'll be praying for you!!
Post a Comment