Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Bits and Pieces

WOW! Time sure has gone fast.. seems like a while since I have done a "family update" post!


Well, now that winter is finally settled down after the holidays I have been loving getting to attack my sewing projects. I have about 1/2 of them done, which is great! I am hoping to finish Leah's twin size quilt and start on Rebekah's soon. I wanted them each to have a homemade quilt for their beds. :) In fun Pinks and Purples. :) Will post pics when I get them done!

I have also been trying to take time to read some books.. "the Classics" like Moby Dick, Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Sherluck Holmes Mysteries, etc.. I find I have been really enjoying them!! It's great to get some culture!

I also have started a Monday night Beth Moore Bible Study at church on Esther.. I am so excited about this! It really looks amazing, and what a treat to actually get time to myself to study God's Word.. something I haven't been able to do in a year.. (as a group study anyway) VERY exciting!
I keep continuing on with finding great deals couponing and such. But being the time of year, it seems the deals are hard to come by. I did however snag 11 Boxes of Electrasol dishwashing detergent for 75 cents a box!! This is about 6 months worth of soap for us!! Yay!

Rebekah is now 10 MONTHS OLD! How did this happen? My guess is she weighs in at about 20lbs! Chunky!!! She is a very big girl! Crawling and cruising are second nature to her now, and she is even becoming brave enough to "cruise" to other objects! Plus this week alone she is cutting 3 teeth! (2 top, one bottom) making a totol of 5 teeth! Wow!

She eats all kind of table food now (just this morning she ate 2 pancakes!!) and she is almost weaned.. (of her own doing..Leah weaned herself at 11 months)=) but she still nurses at night, which is great. She finally got the hang of drinking from a cup.. I was worried she never would! Now she drinks all kinds of juice and water.. and loves it! We have yet to try milk products.. :)

She also babbles constantly and is a very happy girl until you get to nighttime. (ARGH!) she is having the WORST time sleeping at night.. often getting up 3 times a night still! As she is still having to sleep in our room I can't really do too much to change things, but I did take the nightlight out of our room and that seemed to help her sleep a bit better. Any ideas would be lovely!!! I am hoping she will sleep through the night soon.. she has only done so 3x in her life.


Leah continues to be a big help to me with Bekah. The two of them play so well together! Yet it seems like we are at "discipline central" around here at times. Leah will often push Bekah or sit on her, etc. and I will give her a spank and then she will do it again! We repeat this over and over for hours! One morning she had had 6 spankings before it was lunchtime!! I think this is just a phase, but what a hard one it is!!! I really have to stick to my guns on getting to do what I say, and punishing if she doesn't. Today seems to be a better day, which I am thankful for! Usually she is such a easy-going child.. but she seems to understand how to "push my buttons" now, and will ofetn ask Grandpa and Grandma for things Mommy said NO to. (NOT good!) But I know it will be OK in the end.. Ode to 2 year olds!!!

She is a big help around the house too, helps me make dinner, set the table, and LOVES watching Mommy sew her dresses. :) She is a very good helper. I taught her the motions for "Away in the Manger" this past week and she LOVES singing it and "rocking baby Jesus" over and over! Another favorite is "Ring around the Rosie" which she does for hours!!! She also sings cute, made-up songs all day, and if she finds you listening will stop singing immediately! But is it sooo sweet to listen to!

All in all, it has been a good few weeks! Hope you enjoyed these bits and pieces.. :)

2 comments:

Lesley said...

Hi Laura, what a wonderful seamstress you are!! Those little yellow dresses are just adorable!! I wish I could sew but I've never really been lucky enough to get a formal lesson. Maybe someday...Anyway, it was really nice chatting with you at church when we were visiting a a week and a half ago. I wish we lived closer and our girls could have play dates! :) Your girls are so cute. It's fun having two little girls, isn't it. They are so cute when they play nicely together but they can sure fight a lot too. Hopefully that will get better as time goes on!

I hope you figure out a way to get more sleep -- both my girls went through a phase around that age (Kayley was a terrible sleeper and wasn't sleeping through the night on her own until 11 months old) where they got up in the night and didn't need to and it didn't stop for us until I got them in a separate room. Hopefully your little girl will start sleeping better and longer for you soon! Well, take care and have a great week!

LS said...

I enjoyed the update! I feel your pain with the lack of sleep thing! My kids seemed to take forever to sleep through the night (around a year old). We tried everything from putting them in different rooms of the house, letting them cry it out, etc. Hang in there and hopefully soon she will!

Also, now that Ali is almost 4 it is a LOT easier to deal with behavior. We still have some rough days if she's really tired, but for the most part, it's so, so, so much better than it was! When Bekah starts talking and interacting even more, they will play together all day long and she will be able to tattle if Leah does anything to her!