Today was my first day at attempting to potty-train Leah!
I got her up in the morning, and right away went to the potty and as she sat on it, I explained to her how " Now she is a big girl and big girls go potty on the potty chair and not in baby diapers like Bekah!" (I also explained we get treats for going potty in the big potty) She was very excited about the idea of going potty in the potty like a big girl, which I was excited about!
I put a Pull-Up on her right away in the morning, as she was dry when she woke up, and I knew I could work on going potty in the chair every 5 minutes. (Mistake) I asked her a bunch of times in the morning is she needed to go potty and we sat on the chair every time, but nothing happened. Then wouldn't 'cha know, right after we sat on the chair she wet her Pull-Up. Oh well. I explained that now her big-girl pants were gone, and now she;s back in baby diapers. She was very sad at this and wanted a treat. I said "No treats until you go potty in the potty!" Then I continued to ask her every 10 minutes or so if she wanted to go potty, but she kept saying "No" and so I didn't force her. Obviously she went potty in her diaper, but I didn't want her to think going potty on the toliet is a "punishment".
So.. we're back where we started... kind of. She likes sitting on the potty, but never goes. But it's still FUN, which is what I wanted! I know she'll continue to get better, and I am just looking for some other ideas any of you might have to share on starting to potty-train.. I'd love some advice!!! Thanks!
I got her up in the morning, and right away went to the potty and as she sat on it, I explained to her how " Now she is a big girl and big girls go potty on the potty chair and not in baby diapers like Bekah!" (I also explained we get treats for going potty in the big potty) She was very excited about the idea of going potty in the potty like a big girl, which I was excited about!
I put a Pull-Up on her right away in the morning, as she was dry when she woke up, and I knew I could work on going potty in the chair every 5 minutes. (Mistake) I asked her a bunch of times in the morning is she needed to go potty and we sat on the chair every time, but nothing happened. Then wouldn't 'cha know, right after we sat on the chair she wet her Pull-Up. Oh well. I explained that now her big-girl pants were gone, and now she;s back in baby diapers. She was very sad at this and wanted a treat. I said "No treats until you go potty in the potty!" Then I continued to ask her every 10 minutes or so if she wanted to go potty, but she kept saying "No" and so I didn't force her. Obviously she went potty in her diaper, but I didn't want her to think going potty on the toliet is a "punishment".
So.. we're back where we started... kind of. She likes sitting on the potty, but never goes. But it's still FUN, which is what I wanted! I know she'll continue to get better, and I am just looking for some other ideas any of you might have to share on starting to potty-train.. I'd love some advice!!! Thanks!
3 comments:
when i potty trained ryann, i just put her in undies every day. she was basically naked (besides the undies) for less clothes to wash, but letting her wet her pants worked like a charm. she HATED being wet and it really got her thinking after only a few accidents. I asked her about every 45 minutes if she had to go, if she said yes, we sat on the potty, if no, i actually let her wait til she went in her pants. the natural consequence of having nasty wet undies and legs worked well for her. after just a couple days, she was telling me when she had to go. it wasn't too hard at all! i also tried not to use treats and praised her like crazy instead. i would let her tell my mom or brett over the phone that "she did it!" and it worked great. that was nice because i didnt want her peeing the tiniest amount just for a treat. its been about 2 months now, and she still has accidents when we are out and about, or when she is very busy playing with her friends, but not too often. i have been putting her in a pull-up when i think she might be too distracted to tell me she has to go, and it works pretty well. night-time and nap-time aren't always dry, so she still wears a diaper or pull-up when she sleeps. hope that helps, or at least inspires you to keep trying! good luck, laura!!
We tried and tried potty-training for quite some time with Madison. Finally, on her own one day she just came up to me and said she wanted to go on the potty. I immediately sprang into action. I had heard from everyone that when the child is ready, they'll let you know. And that's exactly how it happened.
Once we got started, she was pretty good about letting me know when she had to go. We also used little pieces of candy as rewards, and that was actually kind of a pain. She would be wanting to go to the potty every 5 minutes, just to get a treat. But it definitely was a motivator for her. Now, she rarely asks for a treat after going so that habit has been broken.
I ended up putting the potty chair on our kitchen floor for the first few days because we were having to just drop everything to take her to it, and since we spend a lot of time in the kitchen, it was so much easier just having the chair there.
Once I used the last of her diapers, I didn't buy anymore. She would ask for one everytime she needed to go poop (because it took her a lot longer to want to go on the potty for that) but I would always tell her that they were all gone and we didn't have anymore. We did have a few accidents in the undies because of that, but it didn't take long for her to start going in the potty for that too.
So after all this rambling, I guess the only advice I can give is, like I mentioned, just wait until she is ready. I spent many hours and days sitting on the side of the bathtub, getting a sore back, waiting for her to go on the potty. But it wasn't until she took the initiative and came to me that things started to happen. At least you have introduced the idea to Leah so she knows the concept, once she does decide she's ready.
Now, 7 months later, we still have the ocassional accident, but Madison is pretty much completely trained. She doesn't wear pull-ups at all, even at night, and now she can go get on the toilet by herself, wipe herself, and wash her hands by herself. I thought we would never get to this point, but it happened. So hang in there! It'll happen!
With Lily I had tried all sorts of things, the books, taking the doll to the potty, taking her with me, lot of pull ups-the kind with the "cool alerts", etc. Nothing worked. Started putting her in big girl panties and after a few wet ones, she was paying attention. And if we ever have summer, it is easier because you are outside and your floors don't get messy. I also found that the puppy training pads were nice to have for cleaning the accident up. Cloth on one side, plastic on the other I cut them to smaller sizes but it was great! Lily also got excited when she got to pick out her special panties. Good luck!
Post a Comment