Saturday, June 7, 2008

Makes you think, doesn't it?

I'm sure a lot of you heard about the tornado that brushed past here yesterday, and the havoc that it wrecked in a little town called Emmaville.. less than 20 minutes from where we live! (Don't worry we are all unharmed and undamaged!)

I got a phone call from Josh at 10am Friday morning, telling me to get the girls to the basement, as the tornado/storm was moving towards Lake George very fast! I quickly put the girls in the basement and Isaac and I got the necessary things for in case of emergency; clothes, blankets, water, and we brought all the dogs inside with us.

At the last minute I considered what would happen if this whole house was destroyed.. and what I'd miss the most, and immediately I thought of the second most valuable thing next to my family.. my photo albums!!! I ran upstairs and came down with all my 15 or so albums.. thankful to save at least something in case of diaster. A bunch of the neighbors who have no basements came over and we had a big "party" down in the basement for 1 1/2 hours until the storm watch was over.

Then it was back to a regular day.. funny how in a split second things can change! I kept thinking about my photo albums I had saved that day, and can't help but wonder, how valuable are (and should) our posessions be to us? I didn't run to save my KitchenAid, my favorite outfit, Leah's teddy bear, or even my Bible! It just makes me remember all of our worldy posessions are just temporary.. our real treasure is in heaven!!! Great thoughts for today.. and always!

No comments: