I have been thinking a lot about Organic vs. Regular food/produce.
I LOVE the fact that in Bemidji here, I have so many options on choosing organic foods instead of store-made foods, yet I struggle with a few things about this choice.
1. Does being "Organic" really make everything better for you?
2. The price difference. Ouch.. organic things are sometimes 3x as mucb in stores! Why the big difference? Is it worth it in the long run?
3. Are there some things that you don't have to buy Organic?
I am just appalled at the news reports of meat contamination, spinach problems, etc.. It seems our food market is rather declining. Makes it hard to feel safe about buying anything in any store anymore, especially out of season produce.
This is why I don't buy hardly ANY meat products in the stores, and we hunt, or buy our own from neighbors who raise beef, chickens, etc. Makes me feel so much better knowing where my food has come from and how it was treated.
Anyone else struggle or have opinions on this issue? How about tackling my 3 big questions? I have yet to discover the effects of some pestisides/chemicles on your body from buying food treated with chemicals, etc. I have some reading to do still yet! :) Research project!
Here is a list of 12 produce products that are affected from Pestisides, and should ALWAYS be bought organic. It's a new list for me, I am very interested in researching it more.
So, what are the DIRTY DOZEN?
peaches (97% tested positive for residue)
apples (92% tested positive)
sweet bell peppers
celery
nectarines
strawberries
cherries
pears
imported grapes
spinach
lettuce
potatoes
The Consistently Clean (ones you can buy regular)
onions (90% tested negative)
avocados (90%)
sweet corn* (90%)
pineapples
mango
asparagus
sweet peas
kiwi
bananas
cabbage
broccoli
papaya
I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts on this subject and what you and your families do in response to our growing food dangers! Please share!
No comments:
Post a Comment